Anambra State Materials Testing Laboratory can also stand as a world-class research Centre. To work at ASMTL either as a staff or running an Industrial Attachment programme is to be immersed in a research environment; the renowned Engineers who head such programmes are engaged in research at the forefront of engineering sciences. Undergrads as well as confirmed staffs have the opportunity to work closely with faculty members from diverse personal, academic and professional backgrounds on a wide variety of exciting research and development projects.
Research works at Anambra State Testing Laboratory are common place, they could either be embarked upon as an internal directive or at the request of clients. Researchers and Students of various higher institutions of learning, home and abroad also use the laboratory's hi-tech facilities and courting from the experience of our dedicated and disciplined staff. Such Topics that had been undertaken include:-
* Inquiry into the underlying reasons for the quick deterioration of Nigerian roads sooner as they are constructed
* before their design age, with a view of providing remedy.
* The use and effect of recycled tyre rubber on asphaltic concrete, when used as a supplement with bitumen.
* The likely effect of using sea water as a curing medium of concrete.
* The use of Palm Kernel shells as coarse aggregate substitute in concrete mix.
* The use of Wood and Bamboo as alternative reinforcement in concrete units.